Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Work....and Workouts

Well, yesterday was my first day back at work, and today was my first day actually working.  Word to the wise for everybody that thinks a free day to just chill at you desk is fun - the first hour, maybe two, aren't too bad....after that you are counting tiles on the ceiling and praying for anybody to walk by and talk to you for entertainment.  Trust me on this.  It was good though, to not have to do too much yesterday.  I forgot every password that I need, which was fabulous.  It took me forever to remember how to unlock my computer and when I finally did I got the popup that my password was old and needed to be change - but when I had to retype my old one in I couldn't remember what I had just typed.  Take that process and repeat for every password I have at work (I have several) and feel free to laugh hysterically at what a goob I looked like - I know I was laughing.  Once I got my passwords straightened out I weeded through a million emails - ok, 368, but that's still a bunch of deleting lol.  Then I went through the meeting and tailgates I've missed in the past month to catch myself up on everything I missed in the month I was gone.  All of this got me to around 8:30 (I work 7:30-4:30) and then I was free to read through some of my tools and catch up on the news - I use the term catch up lightly because I have been watching massive amounts of news over the past month, but I did read the entertainment and sports sections of the ap news, so that was something new.  I will admit that sitting for that long was slightly difficult for me.  It's been some time since I've sat upright for any amount of time and my incisions aren't totally healed yet - plus they did cut through abdominal muscle - so I did get achy and tight sitting there, but that was mostly better by today.  Today was much better in terms of speed.  I was finally actually working which makes it go so much faster.  The funny thing was, I consider myself fairly good at my job, I know my tools and how to use everything - but my first couple of calls I totally drew a blank.  Couldn't remember where to go or what to do, and they were simple calls - thankfully I have always been good at gabbing so I was able to talk until I found my footing again.  It was beyond words to see most of my friends again - I can't tell you how much I've missed them!  Tomorrow is going to complete it because the rest of my team will finally be there and I get to see them....I'm so excited!

As for working out - it's going really well.  Today was definitely a "Dory" workout though.  I've been doing the squat challenge, and I try to do it after I work out and get my treadmill done, it seems to work well for me.  Today, however, all of the treadmills were full so I decided to do squats first.  Now, my legs are already sore and shaky and I had to add five more than I did yesterday.  I start my squats, and the first five or so were fine - no pain, nothing horrible, very doable.  Then it started getting rough.  I kept pushing through and working on doing them correctly - I've been really focused on form and making sure that I am doing everything effectively - so I ended up redoing 6 of them.  By them time I had hit my number my legs were on fire.  It was good, I love the feeling you get from working out, Joe calls it "good pain" and I would have to agree.  It feels like you have accomplished things.  After squats, I made my way to the treadmill - heaven help me lol.  Lately I've been doing an hour on the treadmill, all uphill, all at a fast walk.  I love it, I pop my headsets in and just zone out the world, it's perfect.  Then there was tonight.  I did make it over 40 minutes, but my incline was about 1/2 of what I have been doing and my pace was much slower.  After about five minutes I just kept chanting "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" to myself.  I didn't think that I would make it the full 30 minutes, much less an extra 10 after that - but I did it.  I was trying so hard for a full hour, but my legs were shaking so much there was no way.  I still made it the 40 minutes though and I am very proud of that.  After that I went and worked on arms for a bit and then ( drum roll please) I did FIVE crunches!!!  First crunches since the surgery!  I was so very excited.  They hurt like heck but they felt amazing.  I can't wait to build that up as well.  I'm really pushing and working hard, I will do it this time!  I already have a dress and high heels picked out for when I hit my goal weight.  (For anybody that knows me both of those are huge things for me and also very rare - kind of like dinosaur sightings).  Next Wednesday is another weight check so I will let you guys know what happens there and I will also be taking another picture then too.  As always, if you have any questions, thoughts, ideas, anything, please write me or email!  Until next time, thank you for reading and stay safe!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so so proud of you. I commend you on your bravery and commitment of a healthier lifestyle. As you know, I was with my cousin hand and foot through her surgery and let me tell you what...this is no "easy way out." keep on trucking girl! I love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much kristen!! I know whay a struggle it has been for your cousin and what a rock you've been for her and I'm so lucky that I get you in my life!! I cant wait to see you. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete